Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Have pride.....pretend you are serving the Queen

I think that my friends think I am a food snob because they comment on my "fancy" cheese that I hand grate instead of "shaker" cheese , they apologize for their food, they stare in bewilderment when I speak of smoked mozzarella., tabouleh and couscous.  They find it suspicious when I pluck fresh basil from my deck for our Friday night pizza.  Let me clarify from my perspective.  I am a foodie, a novice cook that is adventurous and daring.  I look at traditional recipes and immediately see new versions of old standards.  I have a crazy passion for spices and worldly ingredients and I watch "Chopped" on Food Network and totally "get" the ingredients given in the baskets and I cannot explain this phenomenon.

I ate spaghettios and ravioli out of the can like the rest of you, plus I have a soft spot for McDonald's cheeseburgers: I know, I know ; none of this makes sense!

Today I made my co-workers ashamed of me......we were delivered a Caprese salad from a local vendor and I  was pleased that this vendor has embraced a fresh option because I love fresh , local food;  my co-workers  raved and handed me the tray, I reached out to see pale, lackluster, mealy tomatoes, and I panicked! Why would you present a promise of luscious, juicy tomato pleasure with a pale, dry tomato? I am reduced to being a snob because  I  appreciate the effort to make the dish, but chose not to enjoy it. We have been seeking the very best of everything for our meals, because mediocre is available everywhere! I guess the moral of this story is; have pride in your food...trim off the brown ends, pretend you were serving someone that was important to you and pick your ingredients with pride.  Prepare your ingredients with passion and eat with that same passion.....eat nothing that is worthy of your palate.....

No comments:

Post a Comment