Thursday, July 21, 2011

Date night In Ellsworth

I have to tell you that dining out is complex for me.....it isn't just the food that makes me want to visit a specific restaurant...it also is several other components involved.  Personally,  atmosphere is very important.  I love a warm inviting environment and I love to be greeted and served as though the server has a vested interest in the business.  Let me tell you about a recent dining experience we had at the newest addition to the food scene in Ellsworth Maine.  The restaurant is named Shinbashi,  an Asian restaurant that serves Japanese, Chinese, some Thai and sushi.

Scott and I were sharing our weekly date night with our friends Rhonda and Pete when we decided to visit the restaurant that is located across from LL Bean in the former Blockbuster video building.  We went with absolutely no idea what we were getting into except we were really excited to have sushi.  When entering the restaurant, we were greeted with an immaculate foyer decorated in natural bamboo.  It was simple, cool and elegant and opened up into a slick restaurant with a blend of textures that was very pleasing to the eye including a shining silver wall, a textured cement wall with floral adornments and a gorgeous bamboo floor.  We had many seating options but chose a comfortable table in front of the icy cool sushi bar.

We were greeted by smiling faces and given a huge menu and an offer of drinks right away.  We perused the vast menu options and decided what we wanted to experience.  Rhonda ordered Peking Duck with an order of escargot.  Peter chose Mongolian Beef, Scott ordered a Jade roll and I the Dragon roll with a cool salad.  Because the Peking duck is labor intensive, we waited a fair amount of time, but had a great time laughing, discussing the movie we had just watched all the while being offered drinks and updates on our meal.

Crispy Peking Duck

Escargot

Jade & Dragon Rolls


When the meal came we were blown away by the presentation of our plates....the pride of the chef was evident.  I had a small bite of Rhonda's Crispy Peking Duck and I must tell you that it was the most delicious, unctuous piece of duck I have ever eaten.  The dish was garnished by cool daikon radish that was prepared to look like cellophane noodles. Her escargot was the center of attention because Scott and I had not ever tried it...we each open minded and nervous, plucked one from its shell and was treated to a soft buttery surprise...these are delicious!  Not at all chewy and unyielding like I had made up in my minds eye!  Pete reported that his Mongolian Beef was spiced perfectly and was tender and saucy.  My Jade roll was dressed in a ginger garlic sauce and had crab , avocado and eel...I know this may sound scary and unapproachable to some of you but I promise it is a delicious and clean meal.  My salad was icy cold and dressed in a very simple house dressing.  Scott's Jade Roll was topped in a gorgeous salmon roe, and featured yellow tail , jalapeno and avocado.  What a delicious meal in a gorgeous environment.

It is clear that these restaurants owners want you to feel welcome, comfortable and happy.  We look forward to another visit.  We hope you will visit there also.  They have something for everyone!
All said and done our bill (Scott and I) was $50.00 which included beer and wine...the link below features their menu and prices!
http://www.myshinbashi.com/

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Crispy Duck, (which is quite an expensive meal), and Escargot, Peter had the Mongolian Beef, he also enjoyed two Samuel Adams beer's and i had two soda's....surprisingly our bill was only $57 and some change, fantastic food, awesome company.....definitely a must!

    ReplyDelete